“God Obviously Doesn’t Care About Me!”
Today we are fasting from what I often hear in counseling, which is, “God Obviously Doesn’t Care About Me!” This is our 13th day of counting the Omer [referring to the Barley Harvest], as a “Countdown to Shavuot”. The 49-day “Counting of the Omer” from the Day of Firstfruits retraces our ancestors’ seven-week spiritual journey from the Exodus to Sinai. THIRTEEN Hebraically speaks of the “Age of Manhood”, commonly known as “BAR MITZVAH” [“Son of the Commandment”]. This is the age Abraham circumcised his first physical son by Hagar, Ishmael, before Sarah’s son, Isaac [Yitz`chak: meaning “He Laughed”] was born. THIRTEEN in English is the first of the “teens”, related to “TEEN-YEARS”, or being a TEEN-AGER growing into YOUNG ADULTHOOD. In Hebrew Thought, there are THIRTEEN Attributes of HaShem’s Mercy, THIRTEEN Principles of Faith compiled by Maimonides, [RAMBAM], THIRTEEN letters for the Patriarchs: Abraham, Isaac and Jacob which have a total of THIRTEEN letters in them in Hebrew. The Matriarchs: Sarah, Rivka, Rachel and Leah, their wives, also have THIRTEEN letters. THIRTEEN is the gematria [numeric value] of the Hebrew word ONE (אֶחָד echad: Alef=1, Chet=8, Dalet=4). THIRTEEN plus THIRTEEN equals twenty-six, the numerical value of HaShem’s Holy Four Letter Name [יְהוָה – YHVH “Tetragrammaton”].
Let’s change today:
1. KNOW HASHEM’S THIRTEEN ATTRIBUTES:
by Jacob ben Meir – 1100-1171 [Rabbeinu “TAM” of France – “tam” means perfect, complete, morally innocent, having integrity: a nickname for his namesake Jacob, in Gen. 25:27 ] – based on Exodus 34:6-9:
- HASHEM has compassion before a person sins
- HASHEM has compassion after a person has sinned
- HASHEM is mighty in compassion to give all His CREATION according to their needs
- HASHEM is merciful so that humankind may not be distressed
- HASHEM is gracious to humankind when they are already in distress
- HASHEM is slow to anger
- HASHEM has plenty of mercy
- HASHEM is truth
- HASHEM keeping mercy unto thousands
- HASHEM forgives iniquity
- HASHEM forgives transgression
- HASHEM forgives sin
- HASHEM pardons sin
2. EMBRACE THIRTEEN PRINCIPLES OF FAITH:
by Maimonides [RAMBAN] – Sephardic Jewish Torah Scholar & Commentator 1135-1204
- HaShem EXISTS [Psalm 14:1; Hebrews 11:6].
- HaShem is ONE and unique [Deut. 6:4; Mark 12:29]
- HaShem is INCORPAREAL [Num. 23:19; John 4:22-23], not flesh [He is a SPIRIT].
- HaShem is ETERNAL [Deut. 32:27; 1 Tim. 1:17].
- PRAYER is to be directed to HaShem alone [Our Father in Heaven – Matt. 6:9; John 16:23-28].
- The words of the Prophets are TRUE [Matt. 5:17; Luke 24:25-27,44].
- Moses’ prophecies are TRUE, and Moses was the greatest of the prophets [Deut. 18:15-19 & 34:10; John 5:45-46; Acts 3:22-23], speaking to HaShem “face-to-face”.
- The Written TORAH [first five books of the Bible] and Oral Torah [Teaching given during the two 40 day periods in Mt. Sinai– Deut. 9:9,11,18,25] were given to Moses [Deut. 29:1; Acts 7:37-39].
- There will be no other TORAH [Matt. 5:17-18].
- HaShem KNOWS the thoughts and deeds of men [1Chron. 28:9; Acts 15:8 – “OMNISCIENCE”].
- HaShem will REWARD the good and punish the wicked [Psalm 58:11; Isaiah 62:11; Rev. 22:12].
- The MESSIAH will come [Dan. 7:13; Zech. 14:1-9; Mark 14:62; Acts 1:9-12].
- The dead will be RESURRECTED [Dan. 12:2;Rom. 11:15,23,26-27; Thes. 4:14-17].
3. PUT YOUR FAITH IN HASHEM, AND NOT IN YOURSELF.
a. [Yeshua] answered and said to them, “Have FAITH in God“- Mark 11:23
b. TRUST in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways ACKNOWLEDGE Him, and He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes. Fear the Lord and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh, and strength to your bones – Proverbs 3:5-8.
c. The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord DELIVERS him out of them all – Psalm 34:18-19.
Think It, Say It & Do it!:
I EMBRACE by FAITH, ALL of HASHEM’S ATTRIBUTES of MERCY. I CHOOSE to NOT TRUST in my OWN UNDERSTANDING, but ACKNOWLEDGE in all my ways, that He CARES FOR ME and HE IS DIECTING MY PATH, in Yeshua’s Name! Shalom Y’all!